ETK Week 2–Day 6

Saturday:
More snow overnight.. it seems whatever New York was getting earlier in the winter has now magically migrated back to Canada to punish us. Times like this I’m glad I don’t have to shovel. I’d actually be interested to see how many lbs of snow I’ve shovelled over my life time.


Today my original plan was to do some Yoga – but I’ve taken a break from Yoga and things like Plyo because I’ve been doing more of the stretch and mobility drills Pavel offers and am finding that they really do the same thing for me that Yoga was doing, minus the cardiovascular workout.


So instead of that I ended up doing TRX Performance: Train Like The Pros. Same kind of style as TRX Essentials Strength Training, except this poses a slightly harder workout. I don’t ever find that I’m breaking a sweat in these workouts and I am matching Intensity with the trainers on the tape, but I definitely feel the moves working the targeted muscles groups. I can safely say that I hated the push up to pike move at the mid way mark – that lit my core up big time.


I think I had mentioned this before but the TRX is a great compliment – as in it’s an amazing add on to a routine you’re doing already – after having done a bunch of these workouts, I can’t see someone just doing strictly TRX workouts – although I’m sure some do, I just haven’t heard of that except for the TRX Force, which has it’s own schedule to follow – AB – Rest – AB. (That’s A workout, B workout).


Honestly the hardest workout I’ve done with it, funnily enough, was the Iron Circuit Conditioning which mixed Kettlebells w/ TRX and that was an ass kicker.


So doing ETK this way – 4 days of Kettlebell work and 2 to 3 days of TRX work has been beneficial to me so far. My strength and endurance have increased, and more importantly, my stability and balance has also increased, which obviously is important in the real world. We spend the bulk of our days supported by our base so it’s important to work that area out and challenge them in new ways.


Obviously this isn’t for everyone – either for cost or interest – but you have the best of both worlds here – the power of the kettlebell and the versatility of the TRX. It’s all you really need to get the most out of your training.


I think tomorrow I’ll be doing the Relax Into Stretching DVD w/ Super Joints Part one to get me ready for Monday which will mark the start of week 3. I’m looking forward to this because it’s going to be another challenge to get through and that’s really what pushes me – who likes to be beat? I’ve also been practicing C+P and snatches for the past week and am looking forward to ROP when I can do those on a regular basis – when you have the form down they are incredibly fun moves.


Anyway off for some breakfast and cleaning – have a good one and don’t give up with whatever you’re doing this weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment